Cannabis and Animals. What Are the Benefits of CBD and THC for Your Pets?
Medical cannabis can be used by humans and animals alike.
And we are not talking just about cats and dogs, but other animals as well.
CBD dog treats, canna-pet cbd oil for cats, pet cbd drops and other products have been increasingly popular in recent years. Some of them are pure CBD and some contain small amounts of THC, namely topicals, since cannabinoids contained in them do not get into the animal’s bloodstream. Keep in mind that they do in case of transdermal products like patches.
Cannabis for animals can be used both internally and externally.
- Senior Pets. Cannabis products can help manage arthritis and problems with hips and joints. Cannabis can actually help curb inflammation that plagues older animals.
- Bug Bites. Soothing balms containing CBD and THC can be used for insect bites to prevent scratching and irritation. Cannabis oil can be used as an antiseptic for wounds.
- Skin Care. Fluffy pets are prone to dermatitis. Cannabis oil or creams can help prevent skin problems and can also be used for a variety of skin conditions.
- Energy Levels. Active or old pets may suffer from fatigue, and muscle aches. CBD products may help with muscle soreness and relaxation after a training session or prolonged walk.
- Pain. Cannabis is widely used for relieving the pain caused by arthritis, bone pain or other diseases.
- Anxiety. If the animal is restless, cannabis may help with anxiety. It is especially essential during the holidays, when there are lots of loud noises, fireworks, and crowds, or after travelling. It may also help to deal with separation anxiety when you are away.
- Cannabis may help with inflammation, and according to some studies help manage cancer symptoms.
- Digestive Issues. Normalization of digestive processes, help with nausea and vomiting.
- Appetite. It can help with loss of appetite and subsequent weight loss.
- If the animal has seizures, convulsions, and muscle spasms, cannabis can be used both internally and externally.
It may take up to 28 hours for you to see the effects of cannabinoids on your pet. Always start with a low dose indicated on the chart and adjust accordingly. You can give the oil to food or use a dropper to deliver it orally.
The table provided below on the suggested amount of CBD to provide for your animal is for estimation purposes only. You need to consult your veterinarian on the use and dosage of cannabinoids, and they will set the precise amount. And remember it is advisable to start on the lower side to let the system get used to it.
|Small dogs/cats||125 mg|
|Medium Dogs||250 mg|
|Large Dogs/Small Horses||750 mg|
|Huge Dogs/ Horses||1500 mg|
If you can not apply it externally, you can give cannabis to a dog using the following methods and forms:
- Using an oral syringe with a silicone feeding tip for paste or oil.
- Placing the product directly on the tongue or back of the mouth.
- Adding it to a treat or meal.
- In case the product is not oil based, adding it to the water bowl.
Do not under any circumstances should you blow smoke at the animal. It will not do any good for them.
Cannabis for animals should be used with caution and only after consulting a veterinarian. Know that you can help your pet, but you need to do it carefully. CBD, and sometimes CBN and CBG and other non-psychoactive cannabinoids are used for pet treatment. Rarely, a vet can advise giving THC to your animal, but that usually happens in more severe cases.
Take care of your animal’s health, spend a lot of time with them, give and receive love and enjoy!
Let us take a look at one of the lesser known but nonetheless exciting terpenes.
Find the answers to all your questions about CBN cannabinoid.
Here are 12 common questions people ask on Google and Reddit about consuming marijuana flower and infused products.
Today we are taking a closer look at Silver Stem's unique offering - Tangerine Frost.
Discover all the cannabis terms you need for dispensary shopping.
Most of you have heard about strain types, cannabinoids, and terpenes, but flavonoids have been somewhat overlooked.
We offer high quality, pesticide free product from plants that are handled almost exclusively by hand.
Today we are looking at another Silver Stem creation that has earned a spot among our patrons’ favorites - the Snowcone strain.
It’s no secret that the cannabis industry is bringing in all kinds of money for the industry, but now, there are official numbers backing it up.
Just a few cool designs left.
Special prices on select strains of fine cannabis
Enjoy 7 new deals - one for every day of the week
Get a 10% discount every Tuesday on your entire online purchase.
Permanent discount for military and veterans