Cinco de Mayo 2018
The spring holiday of fun is near.
The origins of the holiday’s name are quite simple it means Fifth of May when translated from Spanish, that is the date of the holiday itself. It is probably celebrated as much as St. Pattrick’s Day by many Americans, though unaware of how and why it came to be so popular in the States.
The holiday is kind of a blend of the American and Mexican culture. In no case should it be confused with Mexico’s Independence Day that is observed on September 16. Cinco de Mayo has about 150 years of history in the US, and there are still disputes about the origin and history of its occurrence here. Ironically, this holiday is mostly ignored Mexico. For many years of disputes and arguing, it eventually evolved into a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage. First, it had become widespread in the states with large Mexican-American populations, and has lately spread to the territories of all states.
So let’s not dwell too much on history and just have a good time.
What can you do for Cinco de Mayo this year?
1. Plenty of pubs, restaurants and other places offer fun Mexican themed programs.
2. In addition to drinking and dining establishments, there is usually a variety of themed festivals. For example, on May 5 and 6, several events will take place in Denver - on the great lawn near Bannock Street, in Lincoln Park between Broadway and Lincoln, and in the Greek Amphitheater.
3. As this year's Cinco de Mayo falls on the weekend, this is a great opportunity to spend time with friends, make a Mexican party at home, cook tacos and other Mexican meals instead of the usual barbecue and maybe enjoy some Mariachi music.
4. But if you are not a big fan of noisy companies, but still want to do something fun over this weekend, just stay at home, and enjoy movies on the subject. Here are some of our picks - El Mariachi Trilogy, The Battle (2013), La Bamba (1987), Nacho Libre (2006), Instructions Not Included (2013), McFarland, USA (2015), Born in East L.A. (1987).
5. In honor of the holiday cannabis stores also offer great deals for you to take advantage of. Just check out the deals Silver Stem offers in the corresponding section of our website.
Cinco de Mayo is a fairly popular holiday in Mexico, but it is primarily celebrated in America, and not for nothing it is frequently called the Mexican St. Patrick's Day. This day celebrates Mexican-Americans, Mexican cuisine, music and folk dancing.
This week enjoy all the fun the holiday has to offer. The dominating colors will be red, white and green, as the colors of the Mexican flag. People will be flaunting in sombreros and powering down on Mexican food. The bravest will be taking part in pepper eating competitions. There will be plenty of pinatas to break and plenty of tequila and cerveza to drink. Take your pick and enjoy Cinco de Mayo!
The legalization of cannabis is spreading rapidly across the US and it covers more than just its free trade in limited amounts.
What do you get when you expertly combine two superb strains? Another instant classic by the name of Dutch Treat Haze.
What is so special about terpenes that we are dedicating a third article to them? Find out.
Learn about some new opportunities that Colorado has to offer for consuming cannabis legally. Some are pretty unique!
Colorado has long been known for being a cannabis tourist’s paradise.
The subject of terpenes is quite extensive and there are so many things to talk about. Join us for the second part of our Terpene series.
As you may know, the City of Littleton currently has a ban on sales of retail marijuana, also referred to as adult-use or recreational marijuana, despite its citizens voting in favor of Amendment 64 in 2012, which permits recreational marijuana sales.
Cannabis is a growing industry in the U.S. Each year with more and more states moving towards legalization of marijuana.
Stardust Funk is one of the latest editions to the line of Silver Stem’s signature strains.
New shake tiers and amazing prices on high quality product.
Enjoy 7 new deals - one for every day of the week
Get a 10% discount every Tuesday on your entire online purchase
Permanent discount for military and veterans
Every Saturday - purchase three grams of concentrates, and get one for a penny