How to Become a Budtender in Colorado - Comprehensive Guide with Tips
The cannabis industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the U.S., providing numerous job opportunities.
Here is how you can get a job in the nation’s first legal recreational cannabis market - Colorado.
The cannabis industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the U.S., providing numerous job opportunities. Here is how you can get a job in the nation’s first legal recreational cannabis market - Colorado.
If you have decided to pursue a job as a budtender, you may be wondering where to start. There are many questions that may come to mind such as ‘How and where do I get a budtender license?’, ‘Do I take a budtender test?’ ‘How much does the license cost or is it free?’, ‘How and where do I apply?’.
Read on and let us help you figure out what you need to do to start your journey in the exponentially growing cannabis industry.
What kind of license do I need to become a budtender in Colorado?
To work as a budtender or any other position inside a licensed cannabis business in Colorado, you need a MED badge - an Occupational License from the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division (MED). There are two types of badges - a Support Badge for employees that do not make operational decisions, like a budtender, and a Key Badge for those with management responsibilities and those who make various operational decisions, like chief grower.
To apply for a Colorado MED Badge, just click HERE, follow the simple instructions to fill out your application. You will need to schedule an appointment with the MED to go in person to submit your application, pay the fee and, if everything goes right, wait for your license. But, before you do that, let’s first see if you qualify.
What are the requirements to become a Budtender?
To check if you qualify, ask yourself the questions below. If they match the answers we provided, you are good to go.
- Are you a Colorado resident with a valid ID, and proof of your current address? Yes.
- Are you 21 years of age or older? Yes.
- Have you served time, including parole or probation in the last five years? No.
- Have you served time, including parole or probation in the last ten years regarding controlled
- Do you have any outstanding taxes, interests, etc.? No.
- Are you or your relative / someone you live with an employee of the MED? No.
- Are you in law enforcement? No.
What do I do once I have my MED Badge?
Once you receive your badge in the mail, it is job hunting time. Budtending really does not differ that much from other jobs but it has its peculiarities. Below are some insider tips and tricks to give you a bit of an edge in being hired by a dispensary.
- Do not try to act like a dealer. Mentioning your past weed selling “experience”will not get you the job.
- Do not show up for the interview in a Bob Marley T-shirt or similar stereotypical “stoner” apparel. The industry here in the Centennial state is over a decade old now, and those in the industry have been working hard to legitimize the industry and make it more professional for years.
- Puffing on a joint before your interview will not get you the job. Don’t show up high or smelling of cannabis. Be yourself, and you should be alright!
- Send your resume in a way and form you usually would for any other job, such as PDF or Word Document and do not forget to include a copy of your MED Badge.
- Ask around the dispensaries near you, especially the ones where you are a regular if they are hiring.
- Check out the jobs section on websites of your favorite dispensaries, like Silver Stem. We are always looking for passionate people to join our fine team, so if you have your MED Badge, APPLY HERE. We are looking for people to join our store staff as budtenders, maintenance supervisors, as well as for our grow facility - trimmers, lead trimmers, and more.
- Educate yourself by reading up on the subject of being a budtender. There is plenty of information on the web, like the “Budtender’s Ten Commandments”, a list of things a budtender should never do.
That is all. Above all else remember to be professional and be yourself to stand out from the crowd. We hope this article has been helpful, and we wish you good luck in landing your dream job!
A lot of people use cannabis to help with sleep management.
Every day, more and more people decide to try marijuana for recreational or medical purposes but they often don't know where to start.
Introducing Silver Stem dispensary located near Littleton and Englewood in the Fort Logan neighborhood
A majority of the states that legalized recreational marijuana for recreational use are collecting more tax revenue from pot sales than alcohol sales.
Consumption of marijuana provides a variety of effects that are often described as body high and head high.
A quick guide to various restrictions around cannabis shopping.
Economy, climate, health, medicine and culture. Colorado and the best places to live in the state.
Cannabis industry is one of the most highly taxed in the country. So how much tax do you pay and where does it go?
You all know some basic information about our locations but we wanted to introduce you to more details about them than just the location address and opening hours.
Get yourself a great discount just for signing up!
Enjoy a great discount on your favorite products!
Get a discount on your purchase to enjoy the festival!
Special prices on select strains of fine cannabis every day
Enjoy 7 new deals - one for every day of the week