Edibles Guide Part 5. Edibles vs Smoking
What do smoking cannabis and consuming cannabis infused products have in common and what are the main differences?
How are Taking Edibles and Smoking Flower Different?
1. If you are simply not a fan of smoking, or if you have a respiratory condition, edibles make for a great alternative.
2. Edibles take a long time for the effects to kick in but they provide a more discreet way of ingesting. Confectionery, drinks, gummies and other marijuana infused products (MIPs) have no pungent smell of weed when stored or consumed, they are small and do not look anything like marijuana buds. They can be safely kept in your pocket, and their use does not require any special device. Edibles are portable, inconspicuous, and can be consumed anywhere, BUT keep in mind - public consumption of cannabis is against the law.
3. Edibles provide a long lasting effect. If you suffer from chronic pain or insomnia, Edibles are just your thing, since their consumption an hour or two before going to bed will ensure a good night sleep while cannabis fights off the symptoms. That is one of the major reasons why numerous medical patients prefer edibles for dealing with pain.
4. Delay in effects. As we learned in section 3, the Edibles do not kick in at once as it happens when you smoke - the usual time for the THC effects to settle varies from a few seconds to 10 minutes tops. Thus, edibles are not suitable for fast relief.
5. Different ways of ingestion. When you smoke, THC gets into the blood flow through the lungs and is then transferred to the human brain, thus you feel the effects almost instantaneously. When you eat/drink an edible it goes into the stomach, where THC is slowly absorbed into the bloodstream. THC is then broken down by the liver, which converts THC to a more potent chemical called 11-hydroxy-THC.
6. The same amount of THC will have a different potency - one milligram of THC in an edible can be up to 10 times stronger than ingesting a milligram of THC through smoking flower.
What do Edibles and Smoking Have in Common?
The final results are ultimately very similar. Consuming an indica edible will make you feel relaxed, sedated and sleepy. Consuming a sativa will make you talkative, elevate your spirits, boost creativity and energy.
To sum up - you will experience pretty similar effects from edibles as you do from smoking, though they will be delayed with no control over 'when' but they do offer a prolonged action.
Read more from our Edibles Guide:
Disclaimer. To eat or not to eat is solely your choice and no one else’s. We outlined recommendations solely for informational purposes. We would like to draw your attention to the fact that this information applies to certified products that are sold legally. Most of it does not apply to home cooked edibles, as there is no way to determine the exact composition, the overall and piece by piece THC levels, and so on. We strongly recommend refraining from edibles you don’t know.
New research has shown for the first time how long cannabis users are likely to be impaired and when it may be safe for them to drive.
It’s no secret that the cannabis industry is bringing in all kinds of money for the industry, but now, there are official numbers backing it up.
We continue with our Terpene Series and today we are looking into the details of a rather rare terpene - Ocimene.
June is a month of pride when the world's LGBTQ communities come together and celebrate the freedom to be themselves.
Gov. Jared Polis signed a bill into law that increases the amount of cannabis adults can legally possess in Colorado from one ounce to two ounces.
There is a lot of confusion surrounding the terms “rec” and “med” and today we will try to explain the difference focusing on Colorado.
The demand for donor blood is as high as ever, and people who consume marijuana want to help as well. The question is - can they?
Colorado is considered the most cannabis friendly state.
With New Mexico, New York and Virginia legalizing marijuana in recent days, one might think the cannabis reform movement has already achieved its high water mark for 2021.
We are delighted to present our exclusive 420 clothing for cannabis enthusiasts.
Special prices on select strains of fine cannabis
Enjoy 7 new deals - one for every day of the week
Get a 10% discount every Tuesday on your entire online purchase.
Permanent discount for military and veterans